Breast Cancer is usually treated successfully when it is found early
1 in every 22 women is likely to develop Breast Cancer
“Better to be safe than sorry”
Who should undergo Mammography?
The goal of screening mammography is to detect breast cancer when it is in early stage.
Follow these steps to protect your breast health:
- For women in the age group of 20 – 40 years monthly breast self examination (BSE) and examination by a physician (PE) every year.
- Women WITH +ve FAMILY HISTORY: Mammography after they attain the age of 25 & once yearly after 30
- WITH – ve FAMILY HISTORY: Mammography should be done regularly once yearly after they turn 40.
Remember….. Annual Mammography is your best key to diagnosis of breast cancer in early stages.
Any women having symptoms of breast disease i.e. lump, pain and discharge from the nipple, nipple retraction or skin texture/colour changes, Ulceration and Skin irritation should undergo a mammography which can help to decide whether the lump is benign or malignant and can guide for biopsy.
What are risk factors for breast cancer?
- Women in urban and semi-urban areas are at a higher risk of the disease because of lifestyle related disorders.
- Early menarche, late menopause and the decision to have children after the 30s alter a woman’s reproductive system.
- The Westernization of our culture, high stress at a young age, not breast feeding babies or early stoppage of breast feeding, excess consumption of alcohol, rise in pollution levels, obesity, among others are the main reason behind the disease.
- Smokers are at a high risk
- Junk food is also a threat.
Many women feel that it is a painful procedure to be undergone which is not true because of technology developments in latest machines.
How to prepare for a Mammography?
- Mammography should ideally be done after premenstrual tenderness subsidises.
- If tenderness is an issue, stay on a caffeine-free diet.
- On the day of the mammogram do not wear deodorant, powder or cream under your arms, as it may interfere with the quality of your mammogram.
- It is advisable to wear loose clothing on the day of the mammogram. – Dr. Swati Paldiwal